Connect with us

News

After Much Evidence: Pantami Agrees He Supported Taliban, Boko-Haram, Al-Qaeda

Published

on

Pantami Alleged Involvement In Death of Ex-Gov Of Kaduna, Patrick Yakowa, CAN Reacts

Nigeria Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami, has admitted he once supported terrorists organizations in the world and Nigeria, including Boko-Haram, Taliban and Al-Qaeda, after much evidences and pressures mount for his resignation by Nigerians, who accused him as extremist.

 

Dr Isa Pantami, who was until the revelation of his alleged remarks in favour of terrorists groups around the world, unknown to Nigerians was a Sheikh, said he made the statements as a young university students.

 

Recall that the Minister, Sheikh Isa Pantami has been under fire over the comments which were interpreted as endorsing the extremist sects.

 

Nigerians took to social media and some government critics to demand President Muhammadu Buhari to fire him if he fails to step down.

 

Sheikh Isa Pantami had earlier denied his alleged remarks in favour of terrorist organizations, that have killed thousands of people in the world, displaced and destroyed  properties worth billions of dollars, in their terrorist acts.

 

Nigerians were afraid that leaving the information management of the citizens in the hands of who they are alleging was a terrorist apologist is not safe.

 

Sheikh Isa Pantami, stated that his call for resignation were motivated by enemies of the changes he is making in the communication ministry.

 

He continued that his Secretary and driver were Christians, as such he would not have been relating with such Christians, if was an extremist as been alleged.

 

But new evidences emerging on social media, documents and voice records, seems to have made the minster to agree, he however said, those were statements he made as a young man.

 

While answering questions during his daily Ramadan lecture at Annor Mosque in Abuja on Saturday, the minister said he now knows better about some of the comments he made in the past.

 

“For 15 years, I have moved round the country while educating people about the dangers of terrorism. I have traveled to Katsina, Gombe, Borno, Kano states and Difa in Niger Republic to preach against terrorism.

 

“I have engaged those with Boko Haram ideologies in different places. I have been writing pamphlets in Hausa, English and Arabic. I have managed to bring back several young persons who have derailed from the right path.

 

“Some of the comments I made some years ago that are generating controversies now were based on my understanding of religious issues at the time, and I have changed several positions taken in the past based on new evidence and maturity.

 

“I was young when I made some of the comments; I was in university, some of the comments were made when I was a teenager. I started preaching when I was 13, many scholars and individuals did not understand some of international events and therefore took some positions based on their understanding, some have come to change their positions later,” Sheikh Pantami said.

 

Politics

PDP Secondus Accused Of Siphoning N10 Billion

Published

on

PDP Secondus Accused Of Siphoning N10 Billion

National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP),  Prince Uche Secondus-led National Working Committee (NWC), has been accused of mismanagement of N10bn generated from the sale of forms for four years.

 

The country’s anti-corruption agencies, EFCC and ICPC have been petitioned by one of the chieftains of the party over the matter.

 

The petitioner, Prince Kassim Afegbua, alleged that the leadership has mismanaged close to N10bn which accrued from the sale of nomination forms for the presidential, gubernatorial, house of assembly and senatorial elections from 2017 to date.

 

Responding to the petitioner, the National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Kola Ologbondiyan, described the claim as “spurious” and “irresponsible”.

 

“The PDP did not raise Afegbua’s fictitious sum of N10 billion as alleged by him. For the avoidance of doubt, the PDP generated the sum of N4.6 billion and raised a budget for its expenditure, in line with all known financial regulations of our party.

 

“This budget passed through the organs of our party and received the approvals from the NWC, the governors’ forum, the Board of Trustees as well as other organs of the party.

 

“As a law-abiding political party that respects the doctrine of rule of law and transparency, the budget was presented to the National Executive Committee (NEC) where it also received a final approval,” the party stated.

 

The petitioner, in a statement, said, “Much of the financial transactions of the PDP under Prince Uche Secondus have been shrouded in mystery.”

 

He said in the event the anti-graft agency delayed in carrying out its investigation, he would have no option but to seek legal redress in the law court.

Continue Reading

News

IPOB’s Ikonso Killing: Embrace Dialogue Now – Ohanaeze Tells South-East Governors

Published

on

IPOB’s Ikonso Killing: Embrace dialogue now – Ohanaeze tells South-East Governors

The apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, on Tuesday, urged the South-East Governors to without further delay enter into negotiations with angry youths in the zone.

 

This is coming on the heels of heightened tensions in the region, with unknown gunmen wreaking havoc on a daily basis across the five States in the zone.

 

Recall that in the weekend killing of Ikonso Don, the commander of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB’s Eastern Security Network, ESN, has added to the tension in the zone, with the pro-Biafra group vowing to go all out for revenge.

 

In a statement made available to Daily Post, the Secretary-General of the Chidi-Ibeh led Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro said any delay in entering into a negotiation process with the youths would spell doom for the zone.

 

He said the rising insecurity in the zone was a product of age-long neglect of the youths by the political class, and unprovoked killing of agitators.

 

READ ALSO: People Are Reporting Killing Like It Had Never Happened Before – Garba Shehu

 

He recalled that, “there have been instances where security agencies opened fire on Biafra agitators where they are holding their meetings and nothing was done about it. That is where the problem started and we must address it from there.

 

“We have two challenges- the killer herdsmen who have been ravaging the land and nothing serious was done to checkmate them. Secondly, the neglect of the youths while politicians lived in affluence.

 

“However, we must all know that whatever is happening is to our own disadvantage and the enemies are happy that the South-East is burning.

 

“The Federal Government has also not implemented the promises it made during the EndSARS, especially with regards to financial compensation of victims. We also did not see much from them in the form of palliatives during the COVID-19 lockdown, so the youths are angry.

 

“Now, talking about the South-East Governors meeting on Sunday, they still missed the point. The people at the centre of it all- the youths, were not in any way represented during the meeting.

 

“What we are saying is that everybody should rise up to the occasion; the governors are trying but what is happening is beyond them and we have to help them.”

 

“There should be town hall meetings; there should be interface, engagements with the youths, the youths are not happy with the system they found themselves in Nigeria.

 

“The governors are even setting up committees without the youths, without their representatives. We are calling on the governors and other stakeholders to reach out to the youths, they should give what belongs to the youths to them. There is danger ahead and that danger can be averted now. If they fail to do so, it will not augur well for our people,” he warned.

Continue Reading

News

EFCC Charges NGOs, CSOs On Money Laundering, Terrorism Financing

Published

on

EFCC Charges NGOs, CSOs On Money Laundering, Terrorism Financing

The Head of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC,  has reminded Non-Governmental Organisations, NGOs and Civil Society Organisations, CSOs, that they have critical roles to play, in curbing money laundering and terrorism financing in Nigeria.

 

EFCC Lagos Zonal Office, Ahmed Ghali, stated this on Monday at a seminar jointly organised by ECOWAS, the Inter-Governmental Action Group against Money Laundering in West Africa, GIABA, AML/CFT Forum, Nigeria and NGOs/ CSOs Consortium in Ikeja, Lagos.

 

Delivering a paper entitled, “The Role of Non-Governmental Organisations and Civil Society Organisations in Countering Terrorism Financing in Nigeria”, Ghali stressed the law will not spare any NGO/CSO that allows itself to be a tool for perpetrating money laundering or terrorism financing in Nigeria.

 

“The varied funding sources and the ability of NGOs and CSOs to process large amounts of cash to beneficiaries and regularly transmitting funds between jurisdictions make them prone to money laundering and financing of terrorism,” he said.

 

According to him, it is mandatory to report to the Special Control Unit against Money Laundering, SCUML, any transaction through any formal financial channels in excess of $10,000 and any cash donations in excess of $1,000.

 

“Failure to do this is punishable by the law,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending