A temporary passport is a form of identification for travel given out in an emergency situation for short-term use. Most nations use diplomatic offices to provide temporary passports to their people abroad (embassies and consulates). A temporary passport is frequently needed in emergency situations, such as when a traveler’s passport has been misplaced, confiscated, or ruined. It might also be required if someone has to fly immediately but their regular passport has expired while they are abroad.
An uncommon type of passport that is only good for a brief time is known as a temporary or emergency passport. Usually, an embassy or consulate issues it. Temporary passports are typically given to citizens of the issuing nation who are stuck overseas without a working passport and urgently require one to travel. The validity of these documents is typically only good for the duration of the intended trip. The person will then be required to apply for a regular passport in order to travel again.
How to Get a Temporary Passport
Travelers abroad are typically awarded temporary passports. They must visit their native country’s embassy or consulate. It is typically necessary to first submit a police report and bring this to the embassy or consulate if the person’s original passport was lost or stolen.
Travelers typically need to fill out an application for a temporary passport. Usually, you can get this right at the embassy. The government body in charge of issuing any kind of passport must be contacted by anyone asking for a temporary passport in their home country (as when applying for a normal passport).
What documents are needed to apply for a temporary passport?
It is wise to get in touch with the embassy or consulate ahead of time to confirm that you have all the paperwork required to apply for the temporary passport. Typically, these include the following:
- Passport-style picture
- ID or a driver’s license
- evidence of nationality (e.g. photocopy of the missing passport, if possible, or birth certificate)
- travel voucher
In addition, there is a charge to pay for the temporary passport.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Temporary Passport?
Depending on the nation and the urgency of the issue, a temporary passport requires a different amount of processing time. It might even be made for the passenger on the same day they apply in some circumstances.
However, it will typically be ready in a few days. On some occasions, it can take longer than a week. For all ethnicities, there is no clear-cut guideline. The embassy, consulate, or government agency that must issue the emergency passport will determine how to proceed.
US Temporary Passport
In the United States, temporary passports are frequently offered in cases of pending naturalization certificate replacement, gender reassignment, and name change. Adults can also get second passports with a four-year expiration date rather than a ten-year one.
A passport application can take up to six weeks to process. Some travelers, however, do not have the luxury of time. Fortunately, temporary or emergency passports can be issued by the American State Department and foreign American embassies.
An emergency passport issued by an embassy or consulate has a short expiration date and cannot be read by a machine. It is given in A4 format and is only good for one journey to either Sweden or the nation of your residency. Getting in touch with the appropriate embassy or travel agency is the easiest method to achieve this. Additional honorary consulates in the US accept applications for emergency passports; the processing period is then 5-7 business days.
Read Also: Best Places To Travel Without A Passport In 2022
The following criteria must be met when requesting an emergency passport:
- in-person meeting.
- There is no need for an application form or a photo when applying at the biometric stations-equipped embassies in Washington, DC, and New York. The process is the same as for a conventional passport.
- An application form must be completed in order to submit an application to an honorary consulate; these forms are accessible at the honorary consulates.
- Two recent passport images (within the last six months).
- Fill out and sign the “Verification of Swedish Citizenship” form.
- According to a police report, the passport is missing or stolen (not necessary if the loss occurred in NYC).
- a valid photo ID
- Your booking or e-ticket reference.
- A recent excerpt from Sweden’s population registration, if requested by the Embassy or Consulates.
- For minors under 18, a guardian certificate is required for minors under 18.
- A fee of USD 183 is paid in cash or by credit card (Visa or Mastercard). Before your visit, please confirm the terms of payment with the relevant Consulate.
- When a temporary passport is issued, all regular visas are permanently canceled.
What are the restrictions on temporary passports?
A temporary passport is typically issued in order to return a traveler to the US. In some circumstances, the consular department may, at their discretion, extend the emergency passport’s validity period to up to a year if you give your trip schedule and motivations. These situations are uncommon, but if you intend to travel for a while, it’s typically advisable to apply for a replacement ten-year passport.
The consular officer must specify every country the passengers are visiting, along with specified entrance and exit dates; visitors with ad hoc arrangements won’t be allowed to utilize the emergency passport to finish their original journey. Additionally, any visas that were contained in the stolen or lost passport will probably need to be issued again.
Canadian Temporary Passport
You must submit an application for a Canadian visa if your nation is one of those listed as requiring one for citizens to visit Canada. The purpose and duration of your stay will determine the sort of Canadian visa you require. For instance, a temporary visitor visa would be required if you intended to travel to Canada. You would require a student visa if you wanted to enroll in school.
What Are the Required Documents for a Canada Visa?
The following papers are necessary for a Canada visa:
- your ID card.
- appropriate application for a visa to Canada.
- a receipt for the Canadian visa payment.
- proof of a spotless criminal history.
- proof of excellent health obtained by a medical examination.
- photos that meet the criteria for photo submission for a visa to Canada.
- evidence of financial capability
- Proof that after your Canadian visa expires, you’ll go back home.
- Documents proving identity and civil status.
- a letter of introduction outlining why you’re visiting Canada.
- Support letter/invitation to Canada.
How to apply in Canada for a child’s passport
Anyone under the age of 16 must have a child’s passport. There is just a five-year option available, unlike adult passports. Even after turning 16, a child’s passport is still valid as long as the expiration date hasn’t passed. You must fulfill one of the requirements listed below in order to apply for a child’s passport:
- In the event that you are not divorced or separated, one of the child’s parents
- If you are separated or divorced, the parent with the proper documentation will be the one who has custody of the child.
- The legal guardian of the child (documentation must be provided)
How long is a Temporary Passport Valid For?
A temporary passport’s duration varies. According to the following elements:
- The nation in question
- The purpose of the journey
- Whenever the user needs to use it for travel
Most of the time, a temporary passport can only be used once, to go back to the person’s native country. The passport will then be rendered invalid, and the holder will be required to give it up. They must then submit an application for a new standard passport to travel overseas again in the future. Depending on the situation and the nation providing it, a temporary passport may occasionally be given with a validity of a few weeks or even months.
It might be a major hassle to travel without a valid passport or to lose one. If you don’t have a passport, you can’t board your flight tomorrow. Please reschedule your trip until you have your emergency or temporary passport.
Leave a Comment