The Nigerian Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is a unique number given to a registered tax-paying individual, business or organization. Every taxpayer has a unique identification number, which can only be used by the person or company to whom it is registered. Upon successful registration as a taxpayer, the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) issues the number. Now that the world is getting more digital, you don’t write an application to the FIRS office to get yours. You can quickly get it online. Do you want to know how to obtain a tax identification number Nigeria online? This article is a comprehensive guide. Continue reading to get more information.
Classification of tax identification number
The tax identification number is classified into two parts.
- TIN for Individuals
- TIN for Organizations
Let’s discuss how to generate TIN for individuals and organizations respectively.
How to generate Tax Identification Number Nigeria for Individuals
As an individual, you can apply for your TIN online on the Joint Tax Board (JTB) website using your NIN or BVN (Bank Verification Number) or in person at the local Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) with a utility bill, a valid ID (one that the government has approved), and a passport photo. Even if you want to go to the FIRS to get yours, you must check online to determine if you already have a TIN. Use your BVN, registered phone number, and date of birth to look for TIN verification. Follow these steps to register online now:
- Step 1: Visit the verification portal Joint Tax Board
- Step 2: Choose your date of birth.
- Step 3: Pick your preferred search criteria (NIN, BVN or registered number) from the drop-down menu.
- Step 4: Enter the digit of the search criteria you chose in the previous step. e.g. if you selected NIN in step 3, enter your NIN digit.
- Step 5: Tap the reCAPTCHA box to verify that you are not a robot.
- Step 6: Tap search to get your TIN
That’s it! You have successfully registered for your Tax Identification Number. Do you want to get a TIN for your business? Keep reading!
How to generate Tax Identification Number for non-individuals/organizations
Companies such as Limited Liability Companies, Enterprises, Cooperative Societies, Incorporated Trustees, MDAs, and Trade Associations, among others, can register for their TIN on the JTB website. All you need is a copy of your company’s certificate of incorporation, the directors’ BVN or NIN, and a valid ID for the directors. Follow these steps to register your company.
- Step 1: Log on to the verification portal.
- Step 2: Choose the date of incorporation of your company.
- Step 3: Choose your preferred search criteria (NIN, BVN, or registered number) from the drop-down menu.
- Step 4: Enter the number in the search criteria you chose in the previous step. e.g. if you selected a registered number in step 3, enter the digits. Ensure you type the CAC registration number in BN1234 or RC1234, or IT1234 format.
- Step 5: Click the reCAPTCHA box to verify that you are not a robot.
That’s it! Your application will be examined and granted. The concerned authorities will deliver your TIN certificates to your registered email addresses. You can also pick up the hard copy at the FIRS office. However, TIN applications must be domesticated at the nearest FIRS Office for validation and proper activation by government agencies like Nigeria Customs, CBN and SON due to system integration issues between FIRS and JTB.
READ MORE: The OPEC Fund for International Development Internship Program 2023
How to verify your Tax identification number
If you have misplaced your tax identification number and you want to retrieve it, all you have to do is to verify it online. These are the steps to follow;
- Step 1: On your mobile phone or PC, visit https://apps.firs.gov.ng/tinverification/ on your web browser.
- Step 2: Choose your preferred search criteria (BVN, NIN or registered number) from the menu.
- Step 3: Enter the digit of the search criteria you chose. CAC reg number should be entered in BN1234 or IT1234, or RC1234 format.
- Step 4: Input the right captcha image displayed.
- STEP 5: Click on search to verify your TIN pin.
If you have registered for a tax identification number in Nigeria before, it will be brought up immediately. If you have not, go back to the previous section of this article to register now!
Why do you need TIN in Nigeria?
TIN is used to identify a person (individual or Company) as a duly registered taxpayer in Nigeria. Here are some of the most common reasons you need to apply for Tax identification number in Nigeria.
- You need it when seeking a government loan.
- It is a must-have when you want to open a business account.
- It is necessary if you need an export, import, or trade license.
- It is necessary when you want to register your vehicle.
- You need it for getting tax clearance, waiver, allowance, or incentive.
Benefits of applying for Tax Identification Number Nigeria online
- All potential corporate and individual taxpayers who have registered with the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) and Corporate Affairs Commission can receive TINs via the online registration system.
- It automatically creates TIN for newly registered companies, which improves the automatic interchange of information across pertinent government organizations.
- You can download a TIN mobile application to print your TIN certificate and address any tax-related issues.
READ MORE: How Much Is Commercial Vehicle Insurance
Paying taxes to the government is one of the numerous duties that Nigerians must fulfil. The government established the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) to handle tax collection in order to simplify this process. The Joint Tax Board, which falls under this organization, has developed a website where you may check your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) in Nigeria. You can quickly generate a Tax Identification number for your business online. Even if you have misplaced your TIN, you can easily retrieve it back!
Leave a Comment