Hi, Have you ever gotten your Us passport lost or stolen? if yes, you would want to agree with me that such periods could be very frustrating, especially for an individual who has an urgent meeting to meet up or have a business deal to close.

Trust me when I say I have been in those shoes where I had my Us passport lost and I didn’t know for a second, not until it got to the time I had to travel for an urgent medical care check up on an appointment. Now you can see how frustrating it can be.

However, It would interest you to note that the passport as a document certifies the personal identity and nationality of its holder. It is typical for passports to contain the full name, photograph, place, date of birth, signature, and expiration date of the passport. 

In this article, we would be looking at how to get a lost US passport replaced, and the process involved.

Follow me on this amazing journey as I talk you through on: How to report a lost US passport and How to replace a lost US passport.

Lost US Passport

Lost US Passport

I can confidently state that I understand how it feels to lose something that is really important to you, since losing a passport or having one stolen may be a pain.

In order for the US Passport Agency to be able to cancel your passport if it was lost or stolen, you must promptly notify them that your passport is gone.

If you are in the United States, you must appear in person at a passport acceptance center to complete forms DS-64 to report the lost passport and DS-11 to apply for a replacement passport. 

Also, if your passport got lost or stolen while you are outside of the country, you should immediately notify the local police department and apply for a new passport at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. 

Although there are a few counties that do not have a US embassy existing in them, these countries include North Korea, Iran, and Bhutan, however, it would intrest you to know that every nation on earth has an embassy or consulate of the United States.

So there is a 100% chance you can find a US embassy or consulate center around where you reside.

Replace Lost US Passport

Getting to replace your  Passport is simple and doesn’t require an appointment. 

As soon as you become aware of its loss, please proceed to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate General to get an emergency passport. 

If you submit the application by 12:00 pm on the same day, they may issue you a passport with restricted validity. 

If not, they will process it the following business day. Get your emergency passport paid for at the time of application, and its validity will come with a restriction—typically for one year—and will not get increased. 

However, they will provide you with details on how to exchange your restricted validity passport for a full-validity passport at no additional cost when you obtain your new emergency passport.

It is advisable that you contact the local police in the region where the loss or theft occurred to report it. 

Although it is not mandatory, providing a police report could be essential in order to manage credit card transactions or file insurance claims.

In order to replace your passport you must bring with you:

A certified, sealed birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Certificate of Naturalization, an expired U.S. passport, or a driver’s license, along with one photocopy, are acceptable forms of proof of U.S. citizenship.

One passport photograph without glasses (taken within the last six months); the U.S. consular facility has a photo booth where you may get pictures. Embassy in Rome and the U.S. Consulates General in Milan and Naples for 6 euros

Completed form DS-11 and form DS-64. Note: you cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.

See also: Fees and forms of payment

Please note that both of the parents of the child or legal guardians must appear in person with the child in order to get a replacement passport for a child whose passport was lost.

A photocopy of the front and back of the ID that the absent parent or guardian gave to the notary public with Form DS-3053 must be submitted with the application if they are unable to sign Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent in person. 

Please prepare this before submitting your passport application.

In the event that there is only one parent or guardian for the kid, the application must be accompanied by both the original and a photocopy of the documentation proving that person has exclusive custody of the child.

  1. If the court order does not limit the child’s travel, they will grant the applying parent exclusive legal custody.
  2. A court order specifically permitting the applying parent to apply for the child’s passport
  3. Judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent
  4. Death certificate of the non-applying parent

For more details, please see Children Under 16

Lost US Passport Card

The State Department encourages you to report the loss or theft of your passport to local authorities and to obtain a police report.

How To Replace Lost US Passport

The procedures for replacing a lost, stolen, or severely damaged passport are identical to those needed to submit an application for a new passport. There are a few variants; which are discussed here

However, the processing time for a passport replacement application might be up to six weeks. 

To acquire your new passport in two to three weeks, you can ask for expedited processing.

You must go to a local agency in order to replace your travel document more promptly. 

You can give someone else permission to submit the application on your behalf if you are unable to do so yourself. 

This might be a close friend, a member of the family, a travel agency, or a courier service for expedited passports.

However, for passports with a short expiration date, those that are about to expire, and those that have expired within the previous five years, you may also apply for a replacement by completing form DS-82 if you were 16 or older when the passport was first given.

This application form is also used to request a passport renewal.

Report Lost US Passport

Report your physical U.S. passport lost or stolen immediately to protect yourself from identity theft. You can replace it now or later – it’s up to you! 

Reporting your passport lost or stolen does not automatically replace your passport. You will need to follow the directions to Replace a Passport here.

How to Report your Lost or Stolen Passport

Report your passport lost or stolen by using one of the 3 options below:

  1. 1. Online:
  2. Click on the tool below, and navigate to the “Report Lost or Stolen” tab
  3. Use the form filler to report your passport lost or stolen

When you report your passport lost or stolen using our form filler, we will ask if you want to reapply for a new passport. 

The form filler will create both a Report of a Lost or Stolen Passport (DS-64) and an Application for a U.S. Passport (DS-11) if you tell us you want to reapply for a new passport.

  1. 2. Mail:
  2. Complete, sign, and mail Form DS-64 to the address on the form

3. Phone:

Call them for-free at 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793). If you want to apply for a new passport, you’ll have to also fill out the paper Form DS-64 to turn in with your application.


After reading through this article am glad there are ways in which our lost US passport can be replaced.

This however is such a relief knowing that a lost or stolen passport can be replaced and the process of getting this passport replaced is also not as difficult as I had thought.

I hope this article is helpful to you as you read through it.


About the author


Leave a Comment