PASSPORT INFANT: How to Apply For US Passport For Your Baby

How to Apply For US PASSPORT INFANT For Your Baby: Obtaining your child’s first passport is an important travel accomplishment.

More so, getting the ideal passport photo of a newborn who can’t lift their head, ensuring both parents are available to go and apply in person, and keeping track of renewing the passport every five years is a little less thrilling.

Applying for a US passport for a newborn baby is the same as applying for a US passport for a minor child under the age of 16. Passports for newborn babies and children under the age of 16 are valid for 5 years once issued.

So, here’s all you need to know about getting your child a US passport.

Steps to Apply for US Passport Infant For Your Baby

#1. Complete Form DS-11

Download the USCIS Form DS-11 Application for a US Passport from their website.

  • The applicant for the passport (in this example, the newborn) must apply in person. This means that the parents or legal guardians must have the infant with them when they submit the application in person.
  • Fill out Form DS-11 with the baby’s full legal name, SSN, and other personal information.
  • Please attach any supporting papers requested by the form.
  • Sign the application only if requested to do so.

#2. Provide Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

Any of the following documents can be given as proof of US citizenship.

  • A certified birth certificate is issued by the city, county, or state.
  • Consular report of an American birth in another country
  • Previously issued United States passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Citizenship Certificate

Useful Tips

  • If you are in the US on a nonimmigrant visa (H1/H4 visa, L1/L2 visa, etc.), you must provide a verified birth certificate issued by the city, county, or state. At the time of birth, you must apply for a birth certificate. Immediately following the birth of a child, hospital officials normally advise parents on how to file for a Social Security Number and a birth certificate.
  • Birth certificates in the abstract (short, duplicate) form are not acceptable.
  • A certified birth certificate with a registrar’s seal, signature, and the date the document was submitted to the registrar’s office is required. Apply for a birth certificate as soon as the infant is born or within a year. Keep any quick trip plans for the infant in mind and arrange them appropriately.

#3. Give Evidence of Relationship With the Child

You will be asked to show that you are related to your newborn child as parents. All papers must be supplied in their whole. Any of the papers listed below can be used as evidence.

  • A Certified birth certificate with both parents’ names is preferable.
  • If the kid was born in another country, you must provide the following information: The child’s official foreign birth certificate, which includes both parents’ names.
  • Child’s Birth Report from Abroad, with the names of both parents

All foreign papers must be accompanied by a formal or informal English translation.

The parent’s name should be provided provide on the adoption decree.

If you are the guardian of a newborn child, you must submit the following:

  • custody order issued by the court
  • Order of the court establishing guardianship

However, if the name of a parent or guardian has changed since the original documents were issued, evidence of name change, such as a copy of a marriage certificate, must be supplied. If only one parent is able to accompany the kid in person, include Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent” to the application.

All foreign papers must be accompanied by a formal or informal English translation.

Also, if only one parent is present, either show proof of exclusive custody of the kid or obtain a court order requiring the other parent to sign Form DS-3053 explaining the special circumstances section.
Previous US passports will not be considered as proof of a connection.

#4. Identification Documents for Parents

When applying for a new passport for their newborn child, parents must submit evidence of identification. Examples of acceptable identification include:

  • Passport from the United States in perfect condition
  • a current driver’s license
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Current military identification or government identification

If you lack any of these, you can utilize secondary identification as mentioned below, as well as an identifying witness who can attest to your identity.

1. Secondary Identification

If you do not have any of the above-mentioned forms of identification, you may produce the secondary forms of identification listed below to verify your personal identity. Please keep in mind that you must produce all of the paperwork. When offered alone, they are not regarded as valid.
Secondary identification consists of a Social Security card, a credit card, an employee ID, and a library card.

2. Identifying Witness

You can also bring an ‘Identifying Witness’ with you. An identifying witness is someone who can recognize you and attest to your identity. There are a few rules to follow. The identifying witness is required to:

  • Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
  • Have a valid form of identification (driver’s license, US passport, current military or government ID).
  • Be present during the application process.
  • I’ve known you for at least two years.
  • In the presence of a Passport Agent, complete and submit Form DS-71: Affidavit of Identifying Witness. This form can be obtained through the Passport Agency or a local acceptance institution.

#5. Submit Photocopy of Parents/Guardian Identification

As indicated in step 4, you must send a photocopy of your identity.

  • A parent or guardian of a newborn baby must provide a photocopy of each identifying document with the baby’s passport application.
  • If you have twins or quadruplets and need more than one passport, submit a photocopy of each parent/guardian ID document with each newborn baby’s individual passport application. There are no combined applications accepted. This necessitates separate applications and papers for each child.
  • The photocopy should be made on plain white 8 1/2 x 11′′ standard paper material, with the front and back of your ID visible. Other paper sizes are not acceptable.
  • Do not utilize both sides of a piece of paper.
  • You may increase the image of your ID on the 8 1/2 x 11′′ paper while making a photocopy, but you may not decrease the size of the picture.
    All secondary identification, if any, must be photocopied and attached to your application. A handicapped applicant’s aide who witnesses the signature or signs on the disabled customer’s behalf must give a photocopy of his or her ID.
  • A person serving as an Identifying Witness (Form DS-71) must also provide a photocopy of his or her ID.

#6. Absence of one or both Parents

In the presence of the Acceptance Agent, both parents of a newborn infant must present in person and sign the DS-11. There are, however, certain exceptions.

For only one parent

  • If just one parent participates in the application procedure, he must
  • Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent in person with the newborn infant.
  • Provide and submit a notarized Statement of Consent from the second parents (Form DS-3053)

Third-party submissions

If the parents of a newborn infant apply through a third party, he must submit:

  • Submit a certified written declaration or affidavit from both parents or guardians permitting a third party to apply for a passport for the newborn infant.
  • When just one parent/guardian signs the affidavit, the third party must produce evidence of the authorized parent/sole guardian’s custody.

Only one parent (with sole custody of the newborn baby)

If just one parent applies, he must complete the following steps. If the semi-parent produces a written letter, then it shouldn’t take more than three months.

  • Make a personal appearance with the newborn infant.
  • Form DS-11 must be signed in front of an Acceptance Agent.
  • Provide proof of exclusive power to apply for the recently born infant using one of the following:
  • If a written letter from the non-accompanying parent is produced, it should be no older than three months.
  • Only the applying parent is included on the newborn baby’s verified US birth certificate.
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Birth Abroad Certification (Form DS-1350) naming just the applicant’s parent.
  • Court ruling awarding the applicant parent sole custody (unless the child’s travel is restricted by that order)
  • Adoption order (if applying parent is the sole adopting parent)
  • A court ruling clearly allowing a parent or guardian to travel with the kid
  • Judicial declaration of non-applying parent’s incapacity
  • Non-applying parent’s death certificate
  • If the single parent does not have any of the following papers, he must submit a form DS-3053 explaining why the consent of the non-applying parent/guardian is unavailable or cannot be secured at the time of the passport application.

#7. Provide 2 Passport Photos and Pay the Fees

  • Provide two color photographs of the newborn infant.
  • The photographs must be 2 by 2 inches in size and identical.
  • Because appearances vary regularly, the images must be recent.
  • The photo must show the baby’s entire face in front of a basic white or off-white background.
  • There should be no one else in the shot.
  • In addition, if your baby cannot sit erect, the photograph might be taken with the baby lying down on a white surface.

The fees for applying for a newborn passport are in USD.

Minor/Newborn Passport Book & Card $95 $35 DS-11
Minor/Newborn Passport Book 80 $35 DS-11
Minor Passport Card $15 $35 DS-11

Time Required for Processing

The full processing period for a baby or infant applying for a passport is 4 to 6 weeks. However, for an extra cost, expedited processing is possible. Processing time for expedited service is 3 weeks, or merely 8 working days if expedited at the agency. The charge for faster processing is $60 USD.


If you and your children have recently become US citizens, you should receive your US passports. Even though everyone must submit Form DS-11 for their U.S. passports, the passport application process for minors under the age of 18 differs slightly from that for adults.

Also, you may only apply for a passport for your child if they are a citizen of the United States. Obtaining US citizenship might be difficult, but working with a qualified immigration attorney can help.



  • path2usa – How to Apply for US Passport for Newborn Baby or Child
  • usembassy – Applying for a Child´s Passport

About the author


Leave a Comment